The community of Dural-Kenthurst was originally part of the Parramatta Parish when St Patrick’s (now the Cathedral) was established in 1836. Later, we became part of the Parish of North Parramatta then called Waitematta.
On occasions the priest would travel to Kenthurst to say Mass at the home of the Blake family at 96 Kenthurst Road.
In 1905 the Society of the Sacred Heart bought 40 acres of land in Kenthurst Road for a convent and school. The plans were never carried out and the land except for one acre was sold in 1917.
This acre was given to the Archdiocese as a site for a church, which was built by local parishioners from 1909 to 1913. On the 12th April 1913 the foundation stone was blessed and three months later on the 12 July the church was opened and dedicated to the Blessed Madeleine Sophie Barat, who was canonised on the 25th of May, 1925.
In 1948 land was purchased at Castle Hill and a small church-school was built in 1954. In 1970, Castle Hill became a parish (which included Kenthurst). The new St Bernadette’s church was built in 1972.
In 1960 a fibro house on six acres was bought at Dural and converted for use as a Mass centre. Mass was said each Sunday at both little churches at Dural and Kenthurst. By the early 1980’s it became obvious that both churches were too small for the growing communities and a site of 20 acres was purchased in Annangrove Road in 1985.
Eventually a Mass centre and Primary School were built and opened on the 17th of May 1987. The regional High School named Marian College, was opened in February 1988. On Pentecost Sunday, May 22 1988 Bishop Bede Heather officially dedicated the parish of St Madeleine Sophie with Fr Chris Dixon as the first Parish Priest.